Saturday, April 18, 2009

Shower Room

Like any living space, our apartment in District 7 of Ho Chi Minh city shrinks in size the more time we spend between the walls. In the next few weeks, Michael and I are going to begin the arduous task of apartment hunting to find a place outside of the suburbs of Ho Chi Minh. But before we go, I want to share my favorite room in our apartment with you. If you’ve been to Southeast Asia, you’re probably familiar with the shower room, but if you haven’t, I must introduce you to the most spectacular use of space.This is a picture of our second bathroom i.e. the shower room. As you can see, there’s no shower curtain! All you have to do is turn on the shower, flip up the toilet seat so the cover doesn’t get soaked, and begin the morning ritual. I love the shower room because I feel like I’m showering outside. There’s no space restriction; the water travels down the walls, around the floor, and sometimes splashes over to the bathroom sink. There’s even enough room to sing and dance. If you haven’t tried a shower room before, I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

The General said...

Yeah, when we were travelling in that area, I usuallyenjoyed a good shower room (well, at least the less sketchy ones). As you said, a little more freedom and having a tub seems sort of redundant when the entire bathroom is tiled.

Martha Zinger said...

ooh, i like this! when i visited a friend in hawaii who was living on an organic farm i got to use an outdoor shower. it was a big rock with a shower head and propane heater and everyone just knew to stay away if they heard water running. i wonder if i can build a secret jungle shower somewhere around here...

Sandy B. said...

The bathroom in the host family's home that I stayed at in Argentina similarly used its space. Unfortunately, you weren't in my life then to help me more fully appreciate it.