Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Luang Prabang-Happiness

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities.
-Aldous Huxley, Vedanta for the Western World, 1945

Th Sisavangvong street life in Luang Prabang. I loved moving down the street and hearing at least six different languages.


For the sunshine, not the rain. I wanted to bring them all home with me.

Artists and vendors setting up for the night market. There were so many beautiful journals, slippers, blankets, lanterns, and so much jewelry to purchase! Consumer Heaven and Crafter's Delight.



The street food in Luang Prabang is unbelievable--every bite is better than the last.


I liked the contrast of the greens, brown basket, and red shirt. Fresh salad!


Pak Ou caves--Buddhist statues line the walls of the dimly lit caves. We needed a flashlight, kindly sold to us for a small price, to explore the dark corners, but there were only more statues and a few spiders to be found.


The view from the stairs at the Pak Ou caves.

The boat trip to Pak Ou was enjoyable for the first hour, the four remaining hours were a like a slow death or a fist to the head, your choice.


Good Luck for the New Year!


Ban Xan Hai or "Whiskey Village" is a tourist stop on the way to the caves of Pak Ou. Rice wine, lao-lao, is served once you step off the boat--warms the cockles of my heart.


The shore of the Mekong River with some cute kids bouncing on the branches.


Our luxurious ride on the Mekong River--all bundled up.


Karinna is ready for an adventure and Michael is showing his thug face. He's a tough man.


A bridge, a river, a garden and me. Oh, and some sunglasses from Forever 21.


This picture captures my love for Luang Prabang: cafe's and monks! Orange is also one of my favorite colors. Whenever I wear orange, I feel powerful. I wonder if the monks feel the same way?


JoMa's Bakery made me smile all week long.


We like to have at least at least three or more drinks on the table in one sitting. I was on a soda water and lemon juice kick.


A view from the old communist bridge.


We dared to cross the old communist bridge, and won.

No comments: