Monday, August 18, 2008

Bike Trip Part II







After buying my bike with a few teacher friends a week ago, I went on another adventure to help three more teacher friends purchase their bikes. Biking form Phu My Hung to District 1 is not that mind-blowing when you consider the surrounding motorbikes are only moving at 25 mph, but the busses and SUVs rule the road here like a giant crushing trees in his path, so the trip is not necessarily mind-blowing, but there are moments where you question your sanity. And really, what kind of fun would this be without a little adrenaline adventure? I plan on getting a helmet to appease my boyfriend, Michael (and I'm sure my parents), but no one else bikes with a helmet on (how's that for an argument)!!!

I once read a story about a man who did not know he was the god of rain, but everywhere he traveled the rain followed. At the end of the story he puts two and two together and ta-da, he learns how to control the weather and the sun appears. I, have not yet learned to control the weather, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I have something to do with the amount of rain we've been experiencing. It has rained non-stop for two days, and it's not the Aberdeen drizzle I know so well, but large, pounding, bone soaking rain. If it doesn't stop soon, I think we may be in for a large flood, and believe me, the last thing I want here is a flood. Luckily, my classroom is on the fourth floor, but others are not as lucky. I can't believe I brought a constant flow of rain to Saigon. I know, you're thinking "egomaniac," but you would feel this way too if you grew up next to a rainforest and twenty minutes from the ocean! 

Thanks for listening to my Monday rant. Enjoy the pictures and thanks for all the communication. I appreciate hearing from all of you. 



4 comments:

Ms. Ali Jessie said...

Nobody wears helmets here, either. But we ride on the sidewalk and don't go much faster than the pedestrians. Still, safety first. I don't know what I'd do in your case...

The General said...

Catching rides on the back of motorcycles in Siagon was one of the most amazing expierences. I can only imagine what it's like to weave through that flood of vehicles on a bicycle.

Sarah's told me a story about how in Indonesia it's required you wear a bike helment. So, everyone goes out and buys these really cheapo ones, just to satisfy the law. I forget the Indonesian word for them, but in English it translates to "shrimp cracker."

Brent said...

I'm loving these blogs! Keep them coming. Good to hear that you're doing well :)

barbra r said...

biking in flip flops? for the love of toes...