Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm in Vietnam!


I haven't written in awhile because my days consist of waking up and skyping with Michael, biking to school, teaching, biking home and working for a few more hours. This is the reason why all of the teacher shows get canceled: there are moments of inspiration and connection, but mostly a lot of reading student work. The reality show of teaching is about as lack luster as a reality show about accounting--a stack of papers doesn't lend to drama. 

Sometimes I have to pinch my skin to remind myself of the fact that I'm living in Vietnam. Most often, I feel as if I landed a gig in Florida: palm trees, motor bikes, restaurants and stores on every block. Yesterday, my friend Dyana and I went to visit Katie and Audrey (the student teachers) in the dorms. The dorms are about a mile away from my apartment and house visiting teachers. The benefit of living in the dorms is full access to an outdoor swimming pool and tennis courts, and I have access because I've befriended the student teachers. I've been trying to swim 25 laps every day to keep in shape. I start at about 5 pm and then pretend I'm on a water ballet team at about 6 pm. In Vietnam the sun rises at 5:30 am and sets at 6 pm, so when my water ballet show begins, a frantic flurry of bats dive from the sky, skimming the water. I'm in awe of the bats. I watch their graceful water show for a few minutes, then exit the pool convinced that I've been bat bitten. I love the daily grind of school, but am thankful for the time I am able to spend under water.

Speaking of R and R, on Saturday I am leaving for the  land of "eternal spring," Da Lat. The bus ride is a total of 16 hours, eight there and eight back. I should have pictures of waterfalls, hikes, elephant ride, and hopefully a book or two read when I return next Wednesday. Which reminds me, I need to start packing!

Tomorrow, marks a month of living in Saigon. One month! When I travel or live in a new place, time slows. Like a child, I discover new people, new places, new ideas. The progress of life is delayed, and I am able to watch and explore rather than wake up wondering where all of the days have gone. Time doesn't fly here, it glides, which is one reason I decided to explore the opportunity of teaching abroad. I wish I could put all of you in my pocket and take you on daily adventures with me!!! I hope all is well in your world. 

Much Love,
Karinna


2 comments:

Bridges said...

Well all that sounds great BUT guess what you missed? We had a meeting ABOUT MEETINGS! I wish I were kidding.

Miss you!

Sandy B. said...

I would take a pocket adventure with you any day :)