Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Dear Friend in SE Asia

Recently, my dear friend, college roommate, troublemaker, Thursday night dance partner, and voracious reader, Ambika flew 17 hours to visit me in HCMC, Vietnam. About ten hours after her arrival, we boarded Jetstar for Hoi An, which is a little over an hour away from HCMC. We spent a relaxing three days in Hoi An having clothes made, walking the streets, enjoying the lanterns that light the small town, and chatting with the friendly strangers. For me, it was one of those moments where time stands still. Although Ambika and I are in different houses, places, clothes, have different hair styles (gray hairs) in comparison to our college years, it was so easy to catch up and carry on. She regaled me with stories of Seattle adventures, and I showed her around my new home and surroundings.

I returned to my work while Ambika traveled to Hanoi and Halong Bay for a few days, but the following weekend, Michael, Ambika, and I boarded the plane, AirAsia (least favorite airline--EVER) for Bangkok. I share my birthday with the Reunification of Vietnam, so I am always blessed with a four or five day holiday around my birthday. Yes, Vietnam loves me too. The three of us spent my 33rd birthday/Reunification Day, walking around Bangkok, Thailand: visiting the Grand Palace, bowing to the Emerald Buddha, eating street food and street bugs, and stopping every five steps to rehydrate--so hot, so hot, so hot, I'm melting. Because of the heat, we could only do about one or two things a day, but the trip to Bangkok was a wonderful celebration of friendship and life. Oh, and my birthday.

We returned to HCMC to finish out the work week after the long holiday and to relax. Michael was able to show Ambika around the city and although I was coming down with the flu, I was able to have lovely chats with Ambika and watch a few episodes of Mad Men. We miss you already, Bika! Come back soon!

My next adventure is my return home to see my friends and family. I'll be in Portland for three days, then with my father, and then my mother. June 12-26 are the dates I'll be back in the states, so if you're around, please send me an email. I would love to see as many people as possible. 

No comments: