Monday, May 18, 2009

Birthday in Bangkok

I celebrated my birthday in Bangkok, Thailand this year with my boyfriend, Michael and good friends, Dyana and Joanne. We ate street Pad Thai every day, to the point where I don’t think I’ll need the mouthwatering goodness of grease, noodles, tofu, sprinkled with peanuts for a few months or at least a few days.

Most of our hours were spent walking around in the mind bending heat, shopping and visiting. Dyana and I took the ferry boat to the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha where we sat in silence, reflecting on our past year and future health for our friends and selves. Joanne accomplished a great deal of her shopping goals, and Michael searched for schools to attend in Bangkok. At night, we all sat by the road side listening to live music, drinking gin and tonics. A successful adventure!



Our final destination was Bumrungrad International Hospital. Because our Insurance covers a full medical check-up, Dyana, Joanne and I made our way through the stations of a five star hotel masquerading as a hospital. Take picture, sign name, fill out form, move past the Star Bucks/bookstore, up the escalator, flat screen televisions hanging on the wall, glass windows, plush couches, wellness center… The doctors x-rayed, took blood, checked our eyes, pinched and prodded us. After four hours of experiencing medical care as a well oiled machine, a doctor sat down with me and explained that I am in very good health. She said I needed to exercise more often, which is why I’ve been doing yoga every day, but other than that, I have the heart of a horse. We all compared notes. Joanne said she had care like that of Bumrungrad in China, but Canadian Dyana and U.S.A. I agreed that we’d never seen care of this caliber. Until next time, Bangkok!


Dyana and Karinna at the Grand Palace. Boat Stop #9

Joanne listening to music, thinking about China.

Lady Perched, waiting. Just waiting.

Patriotic sky outside Koh San Road

More Temple, Yum.

Midnight, my birthday. I am now an adult. It took a long time.

No comments: